Monday, November 30, 2009
Sunday, November 29, 2009
To learn much more about this magnificent Magrette masterpiece please click here.
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Friday, November 27, 2009
Thursday, November 26, 2009
The Real Meaning Of Thanksgiving
Putting Things In Perspective
I have an extremely touching, moving story to share with you about a very brave man I recently met named Fernando who has been a great source of inspiration for me–and for many other people–and I believe once you learn his story, he will inspire you as well.
Recently, I received an email from Joshua Bonifas whose family owns Fortané Jewelers which is an amazing store that sells new and vintage Rolex watches.
I have become close with Josh and his younger brother Kris since we held the first Carmel GTG and Vintage Rolex Concours Exhibition in August. Kris and Josh and I share a deep appreciation for Rolex history to say the least!!!
Josh originally shared Fernando's story with me and then Kris shared more details with me and introduced me to Fernando.
Fernando, whose nickname is Sandy, was working on a project to build a new bridge at the San Jose Airport when a 40,000 pound-pile driver mistakenly fell from above him and in a micro-second severed his arms from his body.
Fernando's co-workers instantly rushed him and his severed hands (placed on ice) to Stanford University Medical Center where he was rushed into an emergency operating room where he was operated on by Dr. Matt Miller who saved Fernando's life and tried desperately to save as much of Fernando's arms as possible.
Despite his best effort, Dr. Miller was not able to re-attach Fernando's hands because the nerves in his arms were pulverized by the 40,000 pound pile driver.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Monday, November 23, 2009
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
What is so important about being able to see two full-size application windows side by side? We human beings reason by analogy. We constantly compare one frame of reference to another and on the new 27 iMac this is easy. As you can see in the photo above we are seeing two full width 1245 Pixel web-browser windows side by side with zero overlap–Just like a full-sized glossy magazine!!!!
- Audio Out (Digital Toslink & Analog)
- Audio In (Digital Toslink & Analog)
- 4 USB 2.0 Ports
- Firewire 800 Port
- Mini-Display Port (for hooking-up an additional monitor if you wish)
- Gigabit Ethernet Port
- System Integration: Apple designs and manufactures all their own hardware as well as writing their Snow Leopard Operating System (OS X). This results in much more predictable and reliable behavior.
- Free World-Class Software: All apple computers including the all-new 27 inch iMac come with the iLife suite of world-class, easy to learn software which includes iPhoto for managing your digital photos; iMovie, for editing your video and Garage Band for editing sound recordings. As a matter of fact, I edit Jake's Rolex Watch Blog Podcasts in Garage Band.
- Apple Stores: If you ever have any challenges with your Apple computer you can take it to any Apple store to the Genius Bar and they will fix it for you or answer any questions you have. If you have ever had a challenge with a DELL computer, you know what a nightmare it can be to get it fixed.
- Zero Viruses: There are over 120,000 PC viruses that can also make your life a nightmare. To add insult to injury, you have to pay a third-party $40 a year to help protect your computer from viruses. This would be like having to pay a bodyguard to protect you from your husband or wife, which is absurd. The Apple Macs have ZERO Viruses. So not only do you not have to waste $40 per years, but you can't get a virus because they simply don't exist.
- One-On-One Training: If you invest in an Apple and you want to learn how to use any piece of software, you can sign up for a program that allows you go to any Apple store in the world and take a 1 hour class up to once a week and it only costs $100 per year!!! The will teach you anything and it is a very, very impressive program and value. If you currently own a PC and you want to transfer all your data over to the Mac, they include this service for free if you sign-up for the One-On-One service.
- Ease Of Use: Widows Vista was such a nightmare to upgrade to from Windows XP, that many people and businesses stuck with XP. Microsoft just came out with Windows 7 which is much better than XP or Vista, but in many ways it is a copy of the Apple Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
- It Just Works: Macs are not perfect by any means but everything works well together in symphony.
- Zero Demoware: Macs don't come with unnecessary crapware and demoware installed.
- People: Mac users are typically like people who wear Rolex watches. They are passionate, friendly, curious and enjoy helping each other.
- Plug & Play Predictability: On a Mac you plug and play, there is no Plug & Prey like on a PC with goofy drivers for everything. USB drives and SD cards plug in and do what you expect them to.
- Simplicity: If you wanted to upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard you had one choice and it was $29. Windows 7 comes in 9 different versions which range from $119 to $320. Microsoft Windows 7 comes in Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Home Premium Upgrade, Professional, Professional Upgrade, Windows Enterprise, Windows Ultimate & Ultimate Upgrade. This is completely absurd!!!