Saturday, June 14, 2008

Rolex Day Date II Preview

Rolex showed off the upcoming all new Platinum Day-Date II in 40MM, which means it is the size of a Daytona or Submariner. The Day-Date has historically always been 36MM, so this is quite a design departure for Rolex.

I remember when I purchased my Rolex Submariner 25 years ago, thinking it was bizarre how big it was–it almost seemed to big.  Today is seems kind of small, particularly when compared to all the other watch brands.

The Datejust and the Day-Date today seem kind of small which is why Rolex is making the Day-Date larger.  Some people prefer the size of the current Day-Date.  Also, Rolex seems to have eliminated the beautiful domed bezel option and replaced it with a steeper, taller straight bezel.

I have not seen one of these in person, but I am curious.



Photo Credit: R-L-X.de