Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rolex Design Fun...Daytona Date...

Years ago, I sent the CEO of Rolex, Patrick Heiniger, a Fed Ex package that contained this actual photo illustration I created of a Rolex Daytona with the Date in the 6 o'clock position.

I simply said, I love the Rolex Daytona and as a dedicated lifelong Rolex enthusiast,  I would really like to see Rolex offer an option to have a Daytona with the date–the way they offer the Submariner with and without a date.

I received a very nice response letter from Rolex that said something about how they wanted to stay true to the Auto Racing legacy of the Datyona and that putting a date on the watch was not consistent with that aim.

At least I tried!  I would still love to see a date option on the Daytona.

Notice my date window is unusual in the sense that it maintains the shape of the pointed indices.